How do I homeschool in South Carolina?
These laws can be read in their entirety at: http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/titl59.htm
COMPULSORY ATTENDANCE LAWS
§59-65-10: Compulsory attendance: This outlines the responsibility of parents and the school district in respect to public school attendance between the ages of five (5) and seventeen (17).
§59-65-20: Penalty: What are the penalties for failure to attend in compliance with Section 59-65-10?
§59-65-30: Exceptions: There are some for whom the above sections of the law do not apply. Can that be you?
HOMESCHOOLING: YOUR LEGAL OPTIONS
** You must choose to register through one of the following legal options.
§59-65-40: The Local School District (“First Option”): This option provides protection to homeschoolers under the auspices of their local school district.
§59-65-45. South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools (Second Option): SCAIHS was the first legal alternative to district approval to home school.
§59-65-47. Home School Associations (“Third Option”) This gives homeschoolers a wide variety of home school associations under which to conduct their schooling.
How do I homeschool my child in South Carolina?
1) Decide if homeschooling is for you, your family, and your child.
After careful consideration of your options and in full understanding of the responsibilities; if you have made the decision to homeschool, you must get registered under ONE of the three options as stated in the SC Law.
2) Register with an association.
If you have chosen to join SCAIHS as your accountability association, we welcome your application at any time during the year. Click here for our application!
3) Withdraw your child from their present school.
4) Decide about the methods, curriculum, and materials you will use to teach your children.
SCAIHS is very supportive of the parent’s right to decide what is best for their child. There are many different philosophies and methods to teaching. There are also many, many sources of materials. You may purchase a formal curriculum package, use an eclectic approach which includes texts from different companies, use prepared unit studies, create your own unit studies, use an objectives checklist, use library books, or enroll in a correspondence school with or without full record-keeping services. The possibilities are limitless. The most important thing is that you use what meets your family’s needs.
SCAIHS can help with these decisions. SCAIHS has curriculum counselors available. We also have our own bookstore. You can find the store at 930 Knox Abbott Dr. or online right on this site!
What is required to home school my child?
You must be the parent/ legal guardian and have at least a GED/ High School Diploma.
Register under ONE of the three homeschool options.
Instruct each student for 180 days per year in the subjects of Math, Science, Social Studies, Reading, and Writing (in 7th-12th Grade add composition and literature.
Keep a lesson plan or journal documenting what was taught on each of those 180 days and complete a semi-annual progress report covering the required subjects.
Keep samples of your child’s work.
*** Nothing we say or post is intended to be legal advice, and is distributed for information purpose only. It is not intended to be and does not constitute the giving of legal advice. For more information about the laws and regulations in SC, please contact your own attorney.***
– See more at: http://schomeschooling.com/how-do-i-homeschool-my-child-in-south-carolina/#sthash.amNx5z8P.dpuf
- HomeSchoolerHub: The latest Homeschooler Happenings! https://t.co/GTzGcCH9hJ Thanks to @SETXHomeschool @omaira_alam @hmmmschooling #homeschool #ihsnet
- HomeSchoolerHub: The latest Homeschooler Happenings! https://t.co/atJhENnDJS Thanks to @HomeSchoolsBest @spanishdebannet @RadFemCJN #homeschool #ihsnet
- HomeSchoolerHub: The latest Homeschooler Happenings! https://t.co/FhmaB4aWdi Thanks to @NotFormerThings #homeschool #ihsnet
- HomeSchoolerHub: The latest Homeschooler Happenings! https://t.co/D6SdG8C3Nt Thanks to @educatedmomMP @atlsjkdm @HomeschlJourney #homeschool #ihsnet
- HomeSchoolerHub: The latest Homeschooler Happenings! https://t.co/1UmjTD5DWW Thanks to @marykprather @ColleenKessler @AelitaQueen #homeschool #ihsnet
- HomeSchoolerHub: The latest Homeschooler Happenings! https://t.co/NZQwW9bPMj Thanks to @LayersLearning @BakshN5 @PeggyPloyhar #homeschool #ihsnet